2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, February 25, 2007

 

Oscar-ology: Predix and Polls #4

Our Best Picture poll changed hands all day yesterday -- first Babel (21.2%) was ahead, then The Departed (21.2%), and finally landing in the arms of Little Miss Sunshine with exactly one third of the dozens of votes. (33.3%). I'm a bit surprised, but it does make me think it's a three-film race at this point. Here are my final predictions: enjoy, discuss, dissect, and shame me for my mistakes.

MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
Babel
SHOULD WIN: The Departed
Letters From Iwo Jima
WILL WIN: Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen
It's going to be a squeaker. And since I like to keep it interesting, I'll defy conventional blog wisdom and go for some Sunshine. It's the most universally liked of the films, and with Babel making a last-minute surge, I believe the globe-trotting wonder will siphon votes from The Departed...a few, enough to possibly make a difference. I won't be disappointed if Departed or Babel win, however. None of these would have been my pick, so it's easy not to care too much.

BEST ANIMATED FILM
SHOULD WIN: Cars
WILL WIN: Happy Feet
Monster House
I'm thoroughly unimpressed by this year's slate, but I detested the penguins. I say give it to Pixar again. Why not? And let's all hope for better candidates in 2007, what with Shrek returning and all.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Deliver Us from Evil
WILL WIN/SHOULD WIN: An Inconvenient Truth
Iraq in Fragments
Jesus Camp
My Country, My Country
Although I loved Iraq in Fragments, I don't think anyone in Hollywood would dare vote against Al Gore. Maybe Bruce Willis, but that's about it.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
After the Wedding
Days of Glory (Indigènes)
SHOULD WIN: The Lives of Others
WILL WIN: Pan’s Labyrinth
Water
Pan's Labyrinth has benefited from a wildly outsized fanboy surge, and will take this in a walk...especially without Almodovar to contend with. A much better pick would be the gripping drama of The Lives of Others...not that anyone in America will notice.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home