2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

 

You Tube of the Week: Gene Anthony Ray

In retrospect, most of my problems in one way or another can be traced to Gene Anthony Ray, who starred as Leroy in both the film and television versions of Fame in the 1980's. The show, about creative teens, was a godsend for a child who wanted to go into the theatre; Leroy's hot pants and hip-thrusting dancing, of course, made me the heterosexual I am today. His original moment from the movie is below:



But forget that, and watch this: the heart-stopping number from my adolescence is from the TV show: "Can You Feel It". Oh. My. God. The show itself is more terrible than you remember, and Ray's singing is cringeworthy. But I'll always have a special place in my heart for the boy from New York City.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home