2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, January 14, 2007


ModMusic: Better The Devil You Know

It's well-known among my circle that I think the best pop song of the last twenty years is "Better The Devil You Know" by the patron saint of the ModFab Universe, Kylie Minogue. It's a big statement, I know. But the song has all the elements: well-constructed, hook-laden and extremely malleable, its inescapable hooks (in both verse and lyrics) adapt seamlessly into different arrangements and genres. The lyrics are universal (the theme of forgiveness) while still being surprising (the theme of 'you suck, but I forgive you'). There's also a timeless quality to the tune that allows it to travel well as we age, something that few songs of the 80's and 90's do well at all. You can argue the point, and I'm sure many will...only Robbie at Toons N Tunes really understands the endless depths of my Kylie love, anyway. Because he is brilliant.

With the release of Kylie's Showgirl Homecoming live set around the world this week (but not in the U.S., sadly), I thought I'd revisit my two favorite other live versions of "Devil": one from the tour in 2005, and the magnificent re-working from Ultimate Kylie in 2001. BONUS: from the new disc, I'm including her new live duet of "Kids" performed with Bono...it's pretty fab, I think. It will have to sate my Kylie hunger while waiting for her new CD later this year.

Download: "Better The Devil You Know (2005 Tour)" (wma)
Download: "Better The Devil You Know (Live, featuring Adam Garcia)" (mp3)
Download: "Kids (Live, featuring Bono)" (mp3)
Then Buy: Kylie Minogue, Showgirl Homecoming Live
Tags: , ,

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home