2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, December 10, 2006

 

Oscar-ology: If I Were the DJ...


...I'd pick these five tracks as the 2006 Best Original Song nominees from the 56 eligible candidates recently announced. In no apparent order:

Ben Folds, Family of Me - Over The Hedge
Arguably the cutest song ever written for a kids' movie that also had a philosophic message of import buried in the lyrics. Love me some Ben, but I really love me this song.

Melissa Etheridge, I Need To Wake Up - An Inconvenient Truth
A sweet mid-tempo rock ballad with an edge of self-directed anger. Deceptively complex stuff.

Sacha Baron Cohen, O Kazakhstan - Borat
While most people were gathering their coats, the faux-patriotic end titles of Borat were still slaying me. Just imagine him performing it live!

Eddie Murphy and Anika Noni Rose, Patience - Dreamgirls
I know that "Listen" is the new track being pushed by the studio, and all praise to Beyonce. But I'd much prefer to hear Eddie and Anika channel Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell one more time.

OutKast, PJ & Rooster - Idlewild
The standout track from the underrated Idlewild soundtrack, it would bring the house down.

And the winner, in my opinion? OutKast in a tight squeeze between Eddie/Anika and Ben. Would you have chosen differently?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home