2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Friday, November 10, 2006


The Movie Meme

Another blog meme, sent via our buddy Catherine at I Am Screaming and Punching Myself. Here's what I think about cinema, Asian boy drag, and snacks.

1. Popcorn or candy?
Neither. Eat at home, you slobs. It's only two hours, I promise you won't starve to death.

2. Name a movie you've been meaning to see forever.
Beau Travail, directed by Claire Denis. Because I idolize Nick, and hope someday to see in Denis what he does.

3. You are given the power to recall one Oscar: Who loses theirs and to whom?
Easy one. I'd angrily snatch back Jodie Foster's 1998 statuette for the easy emotionality of The Accused, and hand it over to the more deserving nominee, the greatest villainess of the last twenty years: the Marquise Isabelle de Merteuil, aka Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons.

4. Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe. Which will it be?
The first one that pops to mind is Ziyi Zhang's fabric-slinging peach and blue gown from the opening sequence of House of Flying Daggers. For more appropriate dinner wear, I'd choose Orry-Kelly's breathtaking burgundy sparkly housecoat from Auntie Mame.

5. Your favorite film franchise is...
As if you have to ask. I was born to be a Bond girl. No better franchise in history, in my opinion.

6. Invite five movie people over for dinner. Who are they? Why'd you invite them? What do you feed them?
I assume they have to be alive, right? In that case, I invite Pedro Almodóvar for his wit and genius; Kate Winslet because I secretly fantasize that we are best friends; Clive Owen, because I would need a hunky date for the evening; Meryl Streep because, well, she's Meryl fucking Streep; and Djimon Hounsou, for when I tire of Clive. I'd serve them all an Italian seafood risotto with porcini mushrooms...because everyone likes a good risotto.

7. What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theater?
I figure, once you've broken the social contract with annoying cell chatter, there's no going back. Loose the barbarians. Let fly the warbirds. (So I unzip my fly and pee on their heads until they hang up the phone.)

8. Choose a female bodyguard: Ripley from Aliens. Mystique from X-Men. Sarah Connor from Terminator 2. The Bride from Kill Bill. Mace from Strange Days.
Really, not even a question...Ripley all the way. She can do anything. She can kick monsters in the teeth, save the orphaned child, and bake a casserole all at once.

9. What's the scariest thing you've ever seen in a movie?
That guy sticking a toy car up his butt in Jackass: The Movie. Why? For the love of all that's holy, why?

10. Your favorite genre (excluding comedy and drama) is?
I have a secret (but fervent) weakness for apocalyptic disaster films. The cheesier the better. I get all hot for The Towering Inferno, kill for The Day After, and freak out at 20 Days Later. And yes, I'm the only person who loved The Day After Tomorrow. Sue me. (Notable exception: Titanic. Ugh.)

11. You are given the power to greenlight movies at a major studio for one year. How do you wield this power?
I find talented young directors and screenwriters, and make 25 films for $4 million dollars...instead of one big $100 million film with Nicholas Cage that no one wants to see.

12. Bonnie or Clyde?
Clyde. Beatty was smoking hot.

13. Who are you tagging to answer this survey?
QTA, PTF, B@B, E&T, and T&T.



Post a Comment

<< Home