2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, November 02, 2006

 

The Book Meme

Ten questions, on the books we love and why we love them. Chosen by Queering The Apparatus for this game of blog freeze tag, I respond thusly:

1. One book that changed your life?
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. As a teenager struggling to get out of the rural, conservative South, it gave me a sense that there was more out there than we know. It also taught me the power of popular literature to transform minds, and the responsibility that carries.

2. One book that you have read more than once?
A gazillion...once I find a book that I like, I tend to keep it around. I've probably read the following more than a dozen times: Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler, Hype and Glory by William Goldman, Scourge of Human Folly by Charles Ludlam, Eight Days A Week by Larry Duplechan, The Odyssey by Homer, Hyperion and its sequels by Dan Simmons, the Dune series by Frank Herbert, the Simon Callow biographies of Orson Welles, and a bunch of Shakespeare (King Lear, Othello, and Much Ado About Nothing most often).

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
My favorite book of all time, of course...Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison.

4. One book that made you cry?
Love Alone: 18 Elegies for Rog by Paul Monette. Never has someone loved another person so deeply, and missed them so much.

5. One book that made you laugh?
My Lucky Star by Joe Keenan. Actually, all of Keenan's books are a hoot...updates of P.G. Wodehouse's costume comedies with a fizzy gay sensibility. Keenan has found success in television (the head writer for Frasier and now, the new season of Desperate Housewives) but his books are a stitch.

6. One book you wish had been written?
I would like to dream as big as Neil Gaiman does. American Gods is stunning in its imaginative width, its mythical swirl. I admire him a lot.


7. One book you wish had never been written?
I could do without The Bible, which has caused so much bitterness, death, pain and heartache over the last two millennia. And I could do without ever seeing another Terry McMillan publication, which combines homophobia AND bad writing.


8. One book you are reading currently?
Three at the moment: Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika by Tony Kushner (preparation is key); A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami; and The Season by William Goldman.


9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's been on my Amazon Wish List for years at this point, and I just never seem to get to it. I also want to get to Frank Rich's latest, The Greatest Story Ever Sold.

10. Pass it on.
Tag! Eddie at EdandTony, Brian of Stinkylulu, and Joe of Low Resolution

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home