2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, October 08, 2006

 

ModMusic: Elvis Costello with Burt Bacharach

I do not say this lightly: the 1998 collaboration between Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach, Painted From Memory, is the only album of the last ten years that will still be played 500 years from now. It is a classic in the truest sense of the word: elemental and honest, scorchingly emotional, and smart as a tack. It includes a dozen great tracks; one of them, "God Give Me Strength", is already a standard in the repertoire of serious singers everywhere. (The latest is Audra McDonald, who covers it on her new CD, Build A Bridge; a few weeks ago I linked to Kristen Vigard's gorgeous piano version.)

My favorite track, however, is this one: "My Thief", arguably the most beautiful song about heartbreak ever written. I tear up every time, and I've heard it thousands of times. Enjoy.

Download: "My Thief", Elvis Costello with Burt Bacharach
Then Get: Painted From Memory, Elvis Costello with Burt Bacharach
Tags: , , ,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home