2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Friday, August 04, 2006


Oscarcasting: Best Picture (Reaaaaaally Early)

Bored out of their gourds and looking to make some trouble, a bunch of B-grade film critics have gathered at Movie City News and predicted next year's Oscar nominees for Best Picture. This is, of course, an exercise in foolishness; no one's seen most of the real contenders, and their picks last the festive wackiness of The Film Experience's mid-year guesstimations. But for what it's worth, they narrowed it to five: Dreamgirls, Flags of our Fathers, The Good German, Babel, and World Trade Center. Yes. World Fucking Trade Center. The shamless, insulting piece of patriotic tripe being advertised all over the place. I haven't seen it, because even the commercials give me dry heaves and I have to run to the bathroom to puke.

If I had to guess at this moment, I'd go out on a limb and say that The Fountain looks promising, The Prestige looks great, and The Departed and Volver both have overdue directors. But these are just off the top of my head. My fave of the year so far, United 93, will be pissed on by Those Who Worship Nicholas Cage, so I doubt it has a chance.

Do you have favorites for early Oscar voting? (I mean, besides Talladega Nights?) [Cinematical]


Post a Comment

<< Home