Taking Stock of Rock Star (Oh Yeah, Supernova)
The reality show Rock Star: Supernova started last night, and like a sucker I sat there and watched it. Regular readers know that heavy metal is not my thing, but there's something about this show I love. (Besides Dave Navarro, my future ex-boyfriend.) The singers are incredibly talented; it really puts American Idol to shame. My five favorites, in order of preference:
- Josh - The most adaptable singer in the group, he crooned his way through his song. Not sure he's right for a Motley Crue/GNR/Metallica jam band, but I bet he's only here to get a solo deal, anyway.
- Dilana - A manic rock chick, she held it all in for a powerful version of Nirvana's "Lithium", which tore the roof off the place. Lita Ford with a brain.
- Lukas - The wild card. Working a look that blends Bowie glam and Marilyn Manson, he furiously tore through a version of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell" that sounded oddly like Franz Ferdinand. He's a star already, though.
- Zayra - Kind of nutty, kind of sexy, she vamped through a flamenco-tinged version of an Evanescence tune. It was odd, and didn't completely work. But I have to admit that she's compelling.
- Toby - Not much of a voice, but he has three things that make him a favorite. One, he's Australian. Two, he's blond. And three, he's hotter than Texas in July.