2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, May 25, 2006


Muslims, Christians, and Gays...Oh My!

Michael Lucas rants today about the evils of Islam, and particularly its murderous homophobia. Yes, shari'a (Islamic law) says that gays should be killed, and al-Sistani has condemned gays to death. And yes, that is evil. And the U.S. government (and its citizens) should be doing a MUCH better job of keeping Muslim gays free from persecution and murder.

But try as I may, I can't get with Lucas' blanket statement that Islam is unworthy of respect. There are millions of Christians around the world who would ALSO like to see gays put to death. Christians in Nigeria have endorsed the Muslim-led practice of killing homosexuals by stoning.

The problem is not faith...there are good people of faith, and there are bad people of faith (just like their are good gay people and Mary Cheney bad gay people. The problem is bigotry and hatred, which too many simpleminded folk wrap in sacred robes. I've got a good friend, a minister no less, who thinks I'm going to hell for loving my husband. Is he a bad person? I've known him since we were kids, and I don't think so. Is he a bigot? Absolutely. It's my job to show him the truth, if I can. Not to condemn him wholesale.
Tags: , , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home