2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, February 23, 2006


American Idol: Separating The Boys From The Other Boys

A rougher night all around as the male contestants took the stage for the first time; I expected six or seven good performances, and wound up with only four. Sway Penala blew the roof of an EWF cover (Phillip Bailey, watch your back!), Elliott Yamin did surprising justice to Stevie Wonder's "If You Really Love Me", prettyboy Ace Young picked the perfect song for his breathy voice (George Michael's "Father Figure"), and Taylor Hicks' soulful reinterpretation of Elton John. I might also put forward Chris Daughtry, but I was less impressed than I expected to be...but that makes him just like every other man.

I'm expecting the cuts tomorrow to be Bobby Bennett, who butchered "Copacabana" so badly that it will probably go down in The William Hung Hall of Fame, and Patrick Hall, who picked Melissa Etheridge's "Come To My Window" but didn't have the charisma to pull it off.


Post a Comment

<< Home